Monday, September 29, 2014

Interview with Adhesif Clothing- Melissa

We also recently spoke with Melissa from Adhesif Clothing. This is our interview with her.

Tell us about your company?
Adhesif Clothing is a Vancouver, BC clothing company that produces handmade memorable one-of-a-kind garments. Each up-cycled piece is made with up to 95% vintage & reclaimed materials & 100% heart, a truly well thought out process made by designer Melissa Ferreira. Every article of clothing has it's very own distinctive personality with a visual array of eclectic prints & color compositions. The result brings a striking presentation of polished yet playful pieces that are also Eco friendly.

How did you get started?
My mother worked in garment production factories in Montreal throughout my childhood. I grew up with her sewing at the kitchen table after work and doing alterations for extra money. Naturally I learned how to sew from her. I taught myself how to design from taking apart vintage garments and seeing how they were put together, after spending many years as a vintage clothing buyer out of high school . I love everything vintage and it remains to this day my main source of inspiration. Vintage clothing, music, buildings, cars, appliances...they have all withstood the test of time because things were built to last and because they’ve lasted the pieces leave behind a legacy with abundant stories to tell. I have been in and out of retail/fashion related jobs my whole life. I started Adhesif Clothing in 2003, opened my own boutique in 2010 and never looked back. Upward and onward...

What was your vision and drive to start this company?
Being from a Portuguese heritage has given me a huge appreciation for European traditions like homemade/handmade goods and the story that goes along with the process. I have always admired quality over quantity for this reason. I feel that the objects we surround ourselves with in life should be cherished for not just function but sentimentality also. With this same mentality, I strive to create pieces that tell stories and have a heartbeat and are made to withstand years of wear. I was raised to never waste what was given to me as a child for a lot of others in this world have much less. This has made me a resourceful person able to promote a waste not want not mentality with everything I do. In my opinion much of what transpires in the Western World is quite wasteful. I hope the underlying message behind my up cycled clothing line & zero waste process can inspire others to feel like there are alternatives for a healthier world.

Why did you get into eco-fashion vs regular fashion?
Sustainability is the way of the future and the creative process is much less mundane.

How is an eco-fashion business run vs regular fashion business?
I run my business with moralistic value and I practice sustainable solutions to the production process being that all of my reclaimed materials are sourced locally & most everything I create is handmade.
Because I am a small independent run business I have the ability to have a thought process in my decisions and over thought process. It really makes sense to support your local artisan/local business.
From what I can see with big box chains the only thought process is making billions off of the less fortunate and exploiting them with little pay and poor conditions so that people in the Western World can have the latest & greatest fashion trends. The worst part about creating poorly made items is that there is no longevity in the garments which makes them destined for the landfill almost as quickly as they were made.

What tips would you give to a fashion designer or someone who is
interested in a similar industry

You know what? I get asked this all the time and I've gone off on long rants in the past. As someone who's self taught the best advice I can give is this. There are no right or wrong answers. Be prepared to make a lot of sacrifices, and mostly you'll need to work your little behind off...constantly so you better be passionate about what you're doing! Get your work/yourself out there and create your own
opportunities. The rest will fall into place in time.

Do you advise individuals who are aspiring to go into this industry to
go to fashion school/get a degree in a related subject?

Not everyone is suited for being self taught. Some people need guidance. Knowledge is power so I guess it doesn't hurt. Above all schooling I definitely recommend anyone look to open their own business to take a small business course.

What direction do you think this industry is going in?
Over the last 10 years I've seen some major progression from businesses both fashion related and non which have been introducing “green” option which is a good sign. Everyone seems to jumping on the bandwagon, so to speak. I think it's even more important than ever for consumers to do their homework and find out the back end of businesses of who is really walking the walk and talking the talk. Supporting local in my mind is a win win usually for reasons already mentioned.

Are there any internships/positions available for college students?
 Not currently

Any other comments?
Please review my blog for previous posts on related topics http://adhesifclothing.blogspot.ca/

Special thanks to Melissa for taking part in this interview. Check out her blog as well! Also, here is a link to her website, Facebook page, and Twitter feed. 





No comments:

Post a Comment