Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Interview with Alan Dutton- (Part Two)- #stoptheslapp

Here is part two of our interview with Alan Dutton. You can see part one here.

4. Who are the stakeholders that are getting involved?-
When we began this campaign, I was charged with a 5.6 million civil suit. It was alleged that I conspired to organize assaults, trespass, activities to trespass the law. There was no evidence whatsoever though. I was lumped into these activities. My position was we should follow rule of law, and yet I was named as one of the five defendents in this case. Some people settled early, but I wouldn't accept a discontinuance. I fought kinder morgan in court, but I lost due to the rules of court. There were simple rules that gave power to kinder morgan over me. How can any individual afford tens of thousands of dollars to defend in court? My job, and my current my work is to further this campaign against SLAPP suits. That means drawing attention to present lawsuits, We’ve been speaking to unions such as the BC federation of labour, and members of the NDP. I am very positive, and I feel that this movement is going in a positive direction. We need a petition, and we need to get get everyone involved, including universities and unions

2. If you could say one thing to the public about this issue, what would it be?-
SLAPP suits present a clear and present danger to democratic rights.

3. Do you think that if there was an abject focus on local green companies, would it be any different? Why and how?- 
Smaller companies that are in tune with the issue the need for renewable energy and climate change would to be able to change their models to reflect needs of the people in their community. We currently have corporations that are abusing the law. They are buying governments and pushing their way through. Those corporations do not care about the local environment. Canada is giving tax breaks to oil companies in Texas, which is ridiculous. Many countries, such as China are leading the way in renewable energy companies, and Canada can do just the same.

4. How can individuals promote green jobs and the green economy while corporations keep tying them down?-
My argument would be that the corporations are buying governments. Government tax breaks to corporations are leading to issues for local, renewable energy companies. It is really clear that we need a change in government that focuses on OUR needs, Not a government that is bought off by corporations.

Special thanks to Alan for taking part in this interview. An audio transcript of our interview will be up soon as well.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/nopipelines

No comments:

Post a Comment